Friday 22 March 2013

God Save Them Ever and After


Dark, foggy, cold, horrible, anxious and panic. Those were the proper situation to describe when the volcanic eruption happened. One of the victim, with initial name AR, said that her day was welcomed by the grey street and plants in front of her house. Nobody passed that way. Merapi had subdued everything and everybody not to go out from their house.  

Merapi eruption happened twice. First was on September 10th, 2010 and second was on October 26th, 2010. The first eruption was not as terrific as the second one. AR lived quite far from Merapi, but she also felt the sand of the eruption. She even said that the sand spreaded until Solo and Purwokerto.

When the first eruption happened, she thought that lecturer would pause the lecturing for a moment, but it still went on. She hoped that the class will be paused, so that she could stay in her home without feeling scared of the situation. However, on the second eruption, the lecturing was paused for around two or three weeks. She really enjoyed that, because the situation outside was totally horrible. She always checked on social media about the latest news. “Jalan Kaliurang of 6km was closed. There were many places used to evacuate the victim who lived very near from the volcano, such as stadium and even one building of my campus was used for the evacuation,” she revealed. 

When she was asked whether she and her family decided to move for a moment, she answered, “Firstly, my family and I wanted to go to Bantul, but my mom said “Live or die, we’ll stay here”. I could not do anything. That was why I really hoped that the lecturing will be paused, and thankfully, my prayer was happened.” 
She also told an awesome experience from her mother.

When people found the corpse of Mbah Marijan, the spiritual guardian or juru kunci of Merapi, with kneeling position, and it was brought to Sardjito hospital, her mother helped the doctor to strecth and clean the corpse. “When I heard my mom’s story, I can imagine how scary I will be when I looked at it”, she said.
“One thing that I really apologized for everything was I could not join people to be a volunteer, because it was impossible to go near the location while I was afraid to go outside. But, at least my family and I can help people by giving many masks on the street for people who were passing us. It was enough I guess, because we did not have to go to the location to help people. I always hoped that God will save them ever and after,” she said happily.






0 comments:

Post a Comment